Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Gals of Glazz - Kristel Britcher


Hi buds! I'm back! I really missed running Gals of Glazz so lets kick it off again, so many excellent lady glass makers out there, I love getting to share them with you. Who better to kick it off again than with the very talented Ms. Kristel Britcher! (Or K-tron as I like to call her when I email her with all my many session requests..) This lady is a gun. One of the most hard working glassies I know. Crushes it both hot and cold, she's the double threat. Very recently Kristel got to go polish up her skills in the lathe in the Czech Republic, lady is a cold working machine. Her products are beautifully designed and meticulously made. I have quite a few Kristel pieces collected from over the years and I owe her something amazing....! On top of running her own practice she is also the program manager at the Jam, I'm beginning to wonder if she even sleeps...


Gals of Glazz 
Tune in for 10 

  1. Who are you and what do you do? 
I’m Kristel Britcher, Adelaide born and raised I’m a glassblower and the Program Manager at JamFactory in Adelaide. 


  1. What do you make? 
I make a lot of things! I’m interested in conceptual and functional design, and sculptural works.  


  1. Why do you make? 
Because I need to. Its in my blood to create and has been since I was a kid. 


  1. What’s you colour palette? 
All of the colours! Sometimes just tonal greys, sometimes transparent rainbow colours, sometimes 80s inspired opaque colours, it depends on what I’m making and what I think the work needs. 




  1. What’s your proudest achievement? 
Receiving the Procter Fellowship last year- working in the ANU studio was such an inspiring and rewarding time for my work.  



  1. Hot or Cold? 
Hot, cold, hot then cold again 


  1. What’s your dream project? 
An installation work for a major gallery-that’s the dream! 


  1. What’s your influences? 
I’m influenced by a lot of things. My upbringing, the natural world and how things are created and evolve, the history of the craft of glassmaking and the potential of the material; and some of my favourite writers including John Berger and Gaston Bachelard. 



  1. What’s coming up for you? Or what are you looking forward to? 
I’m looking forward to finishing up a lot of little projects I have on at the moment, and seeing the many ideas I have turn into something! 

  1. If you could only eat 3 foods for the rest of your life what would they be? 

Pineapple, olives and parmesan cheese. These things are good for my soul! 


www.kristelbritcher.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment