Sunday, March 13, 2011

Uncertain times

So by now you have probably heard of Japan's natural disasters. A 9.0 earthquake was measured followed by a tsunami which took out Sendai entirely. Thousands are missing. Their nuclear reactors are having trouble with the damages they have sustained.
We are scheduled to fly out tomorrow.
I am sitting in Adelaide airport as we speak, waiting to fly out to Melbourne. It has been a real rollercoaster and my heart goes out to all the people of Japan. I don't know how I feel about starting my journey when they are a country facing disaster, a country in mourning for all their loved ones lost.
I think there is very little chance of us flying out to Tokyo. I think our best plans is to delay the trip. While Tokyo has not been immediately affected, they are suffering massive aftershocks, transport shortages (trains not running in Tokyo if you can even fathom that) along with power shortages which mean blackouts, sometimes lasting for 3 hours or more. This is a country in disarray and I do not think it is safe for us to go.
It hurts my heart. I have been wanting to go for so long, making careful plans, organising an amazing journey, now it feels petty to worry about our trip when people have lost their lives. I'm not sure what to do or how this will pan out but for the moment we will remain in Australia.
Much love to you Japan, in your time of need.

1 comment:

  1. i know it is crazy! i think it is best to wait it out a bit and re-plan your careful travel plans. yikes! i hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete