Sunday, May 29, 2011

Residency complete!!

I made it!

One sore left side, one very tired little bird, one small burn, one amazing opportunity. I think I have produced some interesting works which I see great potential for. Am getting a few flashy snaps taken this week so will give you a gander as soon as I have them.

It has been such a roller coaster of a week! In all honesty, if and when I do this again I have learnt one very important lesson; scheduling. Know it. Learn it. Live it. I don't really know what I was thinking blowing glass everyday for two weeks. Who do I think I am? Sir Puff a lot? Minimum 8 hours on the floor didn't really give me the chance to sit with the work so to speak. If given a bit of time off the floor I probably would have been in a better position, both mentally and physically, to get the most out of my sessions. But you know what, sometimes you don't have that luxury and you just make the best of what you are given!

I have really enjoyed my time with the associates too. We chatted about designs, talked about grant applications, blew some glass and had some beers together. They work so hard, they are nothing short of amazing. One of the things that made me the happiest was that they said this was the best special projects that they have had!! The best!! That makes me so happy, I feel like I have achieved my ultimate goal of having an even playing field. I was very adament that I wanted them to take as much from me as I was taking for them. As a consequence I think that is why we had such great success.

I definately feel more connected to the glass world and am looking forward to the next couple of weeks to keep the momentum going.

Thats it for now. I'm beat. But before I go, check this video out. This is glass blower Nancy Callan talking about her passion. Holy shitballs, this is one inspiring woman. Maybe she would take me on?....

No comments:

Post a Comment